TuneList - Make your site Live

19.6.14

Pseudo grad-school and gasconade

I took a graduate level class this last term for a variety of reasons: experience, get to know professors, receive a good grade, beef up my resume, etc. I'm pretty stoked it's over. So is JC (I think Hulk would be too if he was old enough to notice a difference). 

The class was Bioinformatics and Genomics - which translates to computer programming applied to biology. There are hundreds of new generation technologies available to assist in genomics (study of the genome) and proteomics (study of proteins). Both studies lead to a better understanding of how organisms work and interact. A major way to determine how things work is by comparing new organisms to ones understood and how closely related they are through evolution. It's really neat. The class only touched the surface. The programming shell we used was bash, which I understand is pretty introductory. For my course project, Comparison of polymorphic gene indels in strains of SAR11, I used a program called Geneious. 
TEM picture of SAR11 when studying phosphorus uptake last year 
Pain. In. The. Butt. After four days of continuously running a command JC's computer finally overheated and died. It gave a good fight. (never fear, his computer is still functional) 

On a related note I'm going to be published! Again! It's awesome. The first article is in The ISME Journal which is a multidisciplinary peer-reviewed scientific journal. It is published by Nature and focuses on microbial ecology. It's a big deal. But I wouldn't pay money to read it. If you're really that interested, shoot me an email and I'll send you a copy.
The second has been accepted for publication in Nature Communications. I think it takes up to four weeks to appear in the journal. 
Not sure. 
Currently, I am working on writing a review of biotin uptake in SAR11. 
I'll let you know how that goes ;)

6 comments:

  1. I'm impressed. Could you bring a copy of the your article to the family reunion for us to enjoy? Not that we'll understand it, but we can be impressed by seeing your name in print.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gma - I can do that, would it be considered my talent as I have no other unique flairs in life?
    Jess - thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, you have quite a few unique flairs, but this one is astonishing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me rephrase, no other unique, appreciated, and demonstrable flairs. I doubt anybody would like it if I did a stand up routine comprised solely of sarcastic remarks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete