TuneList - Make your site Live

4.4.17

Feeling 22

My dad's brother died in a traffic accident early January 1st, 2016. We don't know why, I think my grandparents will always wonder. It has been hardest for them to accept. He was only 37 and left behind a young family. He was a bibliophile and wrote poetry; my grandmother has been going through his things and found a piece that he wrote when my sister died in 1995.  

Funeral Customs

My brother's baby
Was born without a brain.
A lot of crying, a lot of wishing,
But I don't think it was in pain.

The baby would never grow up,
We could never ask it.
They told me to take pictures 
And help lower the casket.

People brought over food.
Everyone sat eating in the room.
I escaped and played with my friends,
Escaped the crushing gloom.

A loved one dies
And people sure do funny things.
All I can do is try to decipher
The custom it brings.

After death my final wish
Is the burn.
Keep me out of the ground,
Put me in an urn.

-Carl Olsen

Happy 22n'd Birthday little sister :)

No comments:

Post a Comment