TuneList - Make your site Live

5.5.14

I have a testimony, no really...

JC and I had a crazy start to our week. Last weekend we went to the temple. (this is another tragic car story so if you would like to skip ahead, feel free)
Roughly 20mins from the temple the car started vibrating and then the engine died. We coasted to the side of the road and checked all the usually things: oil, coolant, no visible smoke, etc. After receiving no conclusive reason why the car would stop (JC just fixed everything) we tried turning the car on again. It worked, so we drove to a gas station, made a few phone calls and got through to Ken from Ken's Kar Shoppe. The man is amazing, really. Mom and Dad - answer your phone. We wanted his opinion on whether to keep going to the temple or try to get back to town. He replied that we could try either option, just let him know what how it all worked out. Well, we made it to the temple and attended a session. After, our car made it out the parking spot before dying. For real. My awesome Aunt Brenda lent us her car to get back home and Monday JC and I borrowed Ken's trunk, rented a dolly from U-Haul and made the trek north to retrieve our car. Our newest hypothesis is that the crankshaft position sensor is fried.
I also had a take home midterm and a lab report that was due Friday and a course project to work on. JC was swamped with managerial stuff. There are two other managers; one just skipped town to go to Florida for two weeks (I would totally go to Disney World) and the other got a different job in town and is cutting back on her duties. On the bright side, we didn't have to pay rent this month :)

Today was Fast Sunday. Which is awesome! I love hearing testimonies. Unfortunately, hardly anybody knows what a testimony is - or how to give one. I blame my institute professor for corrupting me.
There is an October 2004 talk by Elder M. Russell Ballard titled, 'Pure Testimony.' In the talk Ballard dsays that a testimony should be "a witness or confirmation of eternal truth impressed upon individual hearts and souls through the Holy Ghost, whose primary ministry is to testify of truth, particularly as it relates to the Father and the Son."

I think it's awesome that the lady in our ward has run the Boston Marathon like 923029 times and that she really wanted to be spiritually fed and attend sacrament meeting before the race. But if she feels so strongly about taking 10 minutes to tell that story, she should ask the Bishop if she can give a talk next Sunday and being spiritually and physically fed. Personally, I think she would do a great job. 
Then there's the guy who wants to talk about being married to his wife for 50 years and bring her up to the pulpit and his granddaughter and her four kids so that he can re-propose to his wife in front of the congregation. It's just awkward, for everyone. And I'm pinching my child hoping he'll start screaming so I have an excuse to go into the Mother's Room and turn off the audio.

I realize that everyone is on a different level, spiritually. That is why we come together on Fast Sunday to share our testimonies - so we can learn and grow from each other. Testimonies may grow through experiences, which is why so many members feel they need to share the experience, but the experience is not the testimony. Ballard states, "to bear testimony is 'to bear witness by the power of the Holy Ghost; to make a solemn declaration of truth based on personal knowledge or belief.'" A testimony should be based on the simple truths in the gospel.

I would like to bear my testimony, I know we have a Father in Heavenly who knows and loves each one of us personally. He listens and answers our prayers. Joseph Smith was a prophet of God and the Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ who is our savior, redeemer, advocate, and friend. I know that by reading and actively studying the Book of Mormon we can draw closer to God. Sometimes my life becomes a little crazy and I feel that things are outside of my control (like my car that refuses to work). But I know that my Heavenly Father is there, beside me, directing me and lifting me up when I fall down. 
  

4 comments:

  1. I appreciate your testimony. I know we are children of God and I love the Primary songs that talk about that. They reinforce my testimony.

    Hope you get your car fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to all that. That's like Dave Barry level awkward!
    I bear testimony that we are going to pwn that crankshaft position sensor.
    And that sometimes He lets us take the wrong road or struggle, but God is the master gardener who knows and loves us. He knows the end from the beginning and the meaning of all OBD codes before they are even read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Sounds like it was a weird fast and testimony meeting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad I wish I could like your comment. Also when people try to combine something about themselves with the gospel it's priest craft. So next time you're tempted to make a sacrament talk about your life please consult the spirit if it is really necessary. When planning lessons as a missionary we had to often think am I sharing this story to make myself look good or because this person will spiritually benefit from it.

    also here is what handbook 2 says about fast and testimony meeting 18.2.3 ..."After the sacrament, the bishopric member who is conducting the meeting bears a brief testimony. He then invites members to bear heartfelt testimonies and to relate faith-promoting experiences. The bishopric encourages members to keep their testimonies brief so more people may have the opportunity to participate.

    It may be best to have young children learn to share their testimonies in settings such as family home evening or when giving talks in Primary until they are old enough to do so in a fast and testimony meeting without assistance from a parent, sibling, or other person."

    ps sorry for the long comment :)

    ReplyDelete